[GNC] unrealized gain / losses for mutual funds

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun May 15 16:08:00 EDT 2022

>> Problem is, the example applies to a painting, that is an object
>> whose value changes, not shares whose number remains constant but
>> whose value changes, thus leading to a change in total valuation.
>
> There's no accounting difference between a painting and a share of
> stock, though using a painting for the example forecloses the
> opportunity to discuss a long-running account having multiple
> purchases and sales of the asset type because Degas paintings are
> one-offs while shares of, say, Apple are fungible.

I don't think he is talking about A painting or other singular work of
art but shares of a fund investing in non-fungible art. So you could
think of it like shares that could be bought or sold except I think this
is likely in an IRA, Roth IRA, 401k, etc, so you aren't doing that << if
there are multiple investment options can shift between >>

Michael