[GNC] Integration between Freshbooks and Gnucash?

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon May 16 16:48:07 EDT 2022

Hello, GnuCash users?

I use a service called Freshbooks [1] to track the time I spend working
in my sole proprietorship business, and to generate invoices to clients
billing that time, and to accept payments. In the meantime I do my
bookkeeping in GnuCash. Are there other GnuCash users who also use
Freshbooks?

One tedious aspect of this combination is that I need to re-author my
invoices in GnuCash after I author them in Freshbooks and send them to
the customer. Also, if I buy something for a customer, I enter the
bookkeeping transaction in GnuCash and then re-author it in Freshbooks
so that I can bill the expense to my client. It would be nice to avoid
this duplication.

Freshbooks has an API [2], which should let apps send data to and
receive data from Freshbooks via HTTP calls and JSON data structures.
They just launched an App Store [3] where vendors can advertise apps
which integrate with Freshbooks. I do not see any apps there at the
moment which mention GnuCash. But it should be possible to author such
an app.

I am interested in an app connecting Freshbooks to GnuCash. My top
priority is to be able to export invoice and payment data from
Freshbooks to GnuCash without re-authoring. But more integration is also
potentially useful for other people. If you are also interested, I would
encourage you to let me know either directly or via this email list
thread. You could also suggest such an app to Freshbooks [4]. It
probably won't make anything happen soon, but registering the interest
can't hurt. I am a developer, so I could potentially develop such an app
— but realistically, it is far enough down my wish list that I won't get
to it soon, unless I get encouragement.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

[1] <https://www.freshbooks.com/>