[GNC] Integration between Freshbooks and Gnucash?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon May 16 17:57:51 EDT 2022

On 5/16/22 3:48 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> One tedious aspect of this combination is that I need to re-author my
> invoices in GnuCash after I author them in Freshbooks and send them to
> the customer.

Can Freshbooks export your invoices to CSV? (or other spreadsheet format)

If so, you can then import that to GnuCash. Check the Help & the Guide.
One of them has the input format for invoices. You may need to modify
the export a bit before importing to GnuCash. And it might work out that
this modification is scriptable so you don't have to do it manually
every time.

Also, if I buy something for a customer, I enter the
> bookkeeping transaction in GnuCash and then re-author it in Freshbooks
> so that I can bill the expense to my client. It would be nice to avoid
> this duplication.

You can export transactions from GnuCash, sure. Exactly how you go about
that would depend on your account setup. (or you may need to alter it to
make this easier)

I believe the export is CSV.

> Freshbooks has an API [2], which should let apps send data to and
> receive data from Freshbooks via HTTP calls and JSON data structures.
> They just launched an App Store [3] where vendors can advertise apps
> which integrate with Freshbooks. I do not see any apps there at the
> moment which mention GnuCash. But it should be possible to author such
> an app.

It probably won't ever. But your own script that pulls GnuCash data and
then sends it to Freshbooks via the API might be worth exploring.

Note, GnuCash has its own CLI features (and a Python interface) so you
might be able to use them for reading the data, then formatting it as
needed to JSON.

Regards,
Adrien