[GNC] Am I in business?

arthur brogard abrogard at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 19:07:23 EDT 2022

Hello and thankyou.
I'm 'replying to all' in response to your direct email I just got here.  Great.
Hope I'm doing it right.
So it seems to me I should run two accounts with the list.  Because I like to see what's being discussed at the same time as I don't like the hassle of responding to those who respond to me in the hassly way we have to do it when using the digests.
So I can have the digests to open and peruse whenever I feel like it, no hurry.
And I can be running a normal email - email thread about my queries at the same time in the second account.
That'd be alright, I guess?

   On Wednesday, 18 May 2022, 07:19:46 am ACST, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

 Hi Arthur,

On Tue, May 17, 2022 5:20 pm, arthur brogard via gnucash-user wrote:

[snip]
> I've got this continuing problem with my inability to properly understand
> how to use this list.
> I get an email from a member addressed to me that's fine.  I can respond
> to it and choose 'reply to all' as suggested or requested in the template
> footnote
> But mainly I just get mailing list updates with a number of subjects
> listed at the top.  I look at that and see if my query is in there.  If it
> is I go read it and then perhaps, like now,  I'd like to respond to that
> particular person.
> But I don't know how to do that.
> Except perhaps by noting the email address,  noting out subject line,
> noting the text,  writing a new reply email and inputting all that and
> making the reply go to 'reply all' or something.
> Its surely easier than that.  What should I be doing?

[snip]

You are signed up to get email list in digest form, which means the list
saves up a bunch of individual messages and combines them into a single
email (digest) for you.

Unfortunately, yes, the only way to respond to a single message that way
is to reply, change the subject, and add the target users.  You should
also remove the rest of the message, so it's clear *which* message in the
digest you're responding to.

Most of us do NOT get digests.  Instead, each email arrives separately.
That makes it much easier to respond to individual messages (although yes,
it does sometimes clutter the inbox on busy days).

Hope this helps,

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      derek at ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com