[GNC] How to convert between currency and assets and record change of value

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 20:00:54 EDT 2022

nathan,

This would normally be regarded as a capital gain (or loss) on sale of the item
and whether it is or not depends on the capital gains tax rules as they apply to
this item in your jurisdiction.  As such it may be subject to capital gains tax,
in which case you would need to treat it differently from other income which is
subject to income tax  rather than capital gains taxes. The process is much the
same but you create additional income and expense accounts for use with items
subject to capital gains, which sum separately form your income accounts for
items subject to income tax  ie,e you might have a heirarchy something like

Income:Taxable
Income:Capital_Gains
Income:Noon-Taxable

with a similar heirarchy in your expense accounts.  These can then produce
separate line items for each of these categories in the reports produced ( with
the appropriate choices in the report options settings. It is also a common
practice to use a single account usually under Income for both capital gains and
losses and not have expense accounts for losses.

GnuCash uses double entry accounting and a purchase transaction will record the transfer in value from one asset, your checking account, with a credit entry (called one split of the transaction to the GnuCash account representing your checking account) to the new asset (with a debit entry/split to the GnuCash account representing the asset). The two splits which each affect different accounts form a single transaction.
 In accounting we normally distinguish between assets purchased for immediate
use within the current accounting period (current assets) and assets which are
held for longer than a single accounting period (non-current assets). The
purchase of a current asset, e.g. office supplies, is recorded against an
expense account (a temporary equity account in conjunction with income accounts
to record profit and loss in the current accounting period) immediately on
purchase rather than against an asset account ( credit to the checking account
and debit to the expense account, whereas the purchase of a non-current asset,
e.g. land or a building or plant) is normally recorded against an account in
non-current assets (credit to the checking account and debit of the appropriate
asset account).

I would suggest working through the Tutorial and Concepts Guide
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/index.html if you are not
familiar with double entry accounting practice. The introductory chapters give a
brief overview of double entry accounting and subjects like purchases,
sales,capital gains and losses are dealt with in later chapters as are things
like depreciation of assets for which the values is consumed over periods much
larger than a single accounting period.  It is useful to setup a dummy set of
books to do the examples in the guide. The help manual is more of a button by
button description of the interface operation  but is also useful
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-help/help.html. These are also
downloadable in PDF format if that is more useful for you.

David Cousens