[GNC] Crypto trade directly - not converting to local currency first

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at mapreri.org
Sat May 21 12:49:20 EDT 2022

Nothing particularly odd about that.  You'll have to do something like:

                       tot shares   price       tot buy   tot sell
Assets:BTC              -123
Assets:ETH               456
Trading:Crypto:BTC       123
Trading:Crypto:ETH      -456

(the Trading: splits should be created automatically, but regardless,
that's how it'll look).

leave empty the 3 columns on the right, just touch the first column
labeled "tot shares"; that column is visible only for "Stock" or "Mutual
fund" kind of accounts, which is what I already expect your accounts to
be like.

Then again, it might make sense to give value to those shares.  If so,
you could do this:

Assets:BTC              -123    33,123.00                   4,074,129
Assets:ETH               456     8,934.49       4,074,129
Trading:Crypto:BTC    ......
Trading:Crypto:ETH    ......

(I made up the values of BTC and ETH here…)

This will also make possible to track the relevant fees in doing such
transaction:

Assets:BTC              -123    33,123.00                   4,074,129
Assets:ETH               456     8,934.38       4,074,079
Expenses:CryptoFees                                    50
Trading:Crypto:BTC    ......
Trading:Crypto:ETH    ......

That most likely make a lot of sense.

That's something very commonly done when, for example, mutual funds are
merged into each other, redefined, or something else.  Or when you
instruct your asset management company to switch your investments from
one fund to another without cashing out in-between.
Something similar is also done when there are stock splitoffs (but it's
not exactly the same).

BTW, it's not possible to "add btc as a currency type", as the currency
types in gnucash are hardcoded and only formal currencies as to defined
by ISO 4217.