[GNC] Create New Gnucash File From Old One

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 7 16:59:41 EST 2022

Hi,

On Mon, November 7, 2022 1:49 pm, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is what I want to accomplish.
>
> 1. Create a new gnucash file with the same accounts as an old one but no
> transactions from the old one.
> 2. Copy the transactions from a single account from the old gnu cash
> file to the new one.
>
> I can accomplish 1. by exporting the account tree from the old one to a
> csv file and then importing the csv file to the new one.

There is an even easier way:  File -> Export -> Export Accounts
This will create a new data file with just the account tree, so all you
need to do is File -> Open the "exported" file.

> I tried to accomplish 2. by exporting the transactions from the desired
> account on the old file to a csv file and then import the csv to the the
> new file.  I can export the transactions but no amount of fiddling or
> trying options allows me to successfully import the csv file.

What version of GnuCash?  I *THOUGHT* that we fixed the issue where
exported data could not be imported.

> Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Joe Hesse

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745