[GNC] gnucash prices with Yahoo

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:28:36 EST 2022

Greetings James Baxter from Atlanta Georgia

I have just returned from a relaxing holiday in the countryside, and so
I am a little delayed on our correspondence.  As David Carlson advised
you yesterday, please always use the following email address when you
have GnuCash questions:-

gnucash-user at gnucash.org

And when you do this you will receive lots of answers from the many
helpful people in GnuCash Land.  Indeed, for your previous two questions
where you did this, I can see that David has sent you 4 replies, and
Murugan, Richard, and John have also each sent you a reply.  Isn't that
wonderful?  All these people that you have never met are volunteering
their time and wisdom to try and help you out!

Now to your question about obtaining stock prices from Yahoo Finance:-

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN

The answer is YES, this is very easy to do with GnuCash.

Of course you have to create your Security, and link it to an Account.
I know that you have already done this for AMZN, but you might like to
review the necessary steps here:-

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock

Then, for each of your Securities, you need to specify Yahoo Finance as
the source for stock prices:-

1. Tools / Security Editor / Edit / Select "Yahoo as JSON" / OK

Finally, you need to ask GnuCash to obtain the current stock prices:-

2. Tools / Price Database / Get Quotes

I have attached a screenshot showing you how to do steps 1 and 2.

Regards

Geoff
=====