[GNC] Account structure for tracking trip expenses

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Nov 19 11:58:48 EST 2022

Peter,

In line with David's suggestion of using the Action field, you can
create your own 'tag' system. Your tags can be placed in Description,
Notes (need 2nd line mode to view) Action or Memo fields. You can
designate tags with whatever symbol you like, such as '#' or '@' or no
symbol at all.

When you are ready to run a report for anything using a tag, run the
Transaction Report and use the Filter tab in Options to specify the tag
you want to include. You can also get fancy with Regular Expressions if
you like.

At present, the only major disadvantage to this approach is that the
P&L/Income Statement does not allow the full breadth of filtering
options that the Transaction Report does, so it takes more work to get
that type of 'net revenue/income' result based on a subset of
transactions matching a tag. (requires specially crafted Transaction
report exported and further manipulated in a spreadsheet) Having
separate accounts for such tracking makes P&L/Income Statement type
reporting easy. And if you make those special accounts children of the
'regular' corresponding accounts, their balances can be set to 'roll-up'
into their parents.

The advantage to this 'custom tag' approach is that you don't have to
create special accounts that might be for one-off events or projects,
and the transactions are automatically included in the 'regular'
accounts, because they are already assigned to them. Plus, your CoA is a
bit less cluttered. Also note, this doesn't require any special 'system'
of tags. Simply putting a common word or phrase in say the 'Notes'  or
'Memo' field, is sufficient to create a report filter.

Regards,
Adrien