[GNC] New IngAusOfxFix V2.02 release

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 01:35:35 EDT 2022

Hi,

There is a new version of my IngAusOfxFix utility which is for easily
modifying an OFX or QFX file

from ING Australia bank (and some others) so that it can be imported into
GnuCash.

V2.02 fixes a crash in IngAusOfxFix when the input file contains non-ascii
UTF-8 characters.

Specifically, it was crashing when a U+2019 (Right Single Quotation Mark)
was read, with error message:

IOException: java.nio.charset.MalformedInputException: Input length = 1.

This version also changes

ENCODING:USASCII to ENCODING:UTF-8

and

CHARSET:1252 to ENCODING:NONE

as I believe this best allows the libofx routines that GnuCash uses,

to import UTF-8 characters.

Note that (from my limited testing) non-ascii UTF-8 characters are
imported correctly into GnuCash in Linux, but some are dropped or
incorrectly translated when importing into GnuCash in MS Windows.

The new version 2.02 is available for Linux

  https://github.com/goodvibes2/IngAusOfxFixLinux/releases

and Windows

  https://github.com/goodvibes2/IngAusOfxFixWin/releases

For documentation, see

Linux https://github.com/goodvibes2/IngAusOfxFixLinux

Windows https://github.com/goodvibes2/IngAusOfxFixWin

Just to document, my testing show that in MS Windows 11 GnuCash 4.11,

using ENCODING:UTF-8 and ENCODING:NONE,

the following characters are dropped:

U+2019 Right Single Quotation Mark

U+20AC Euro

and the following characters are (wrongly?) translated:

U+2076  Superscript 6 imports as b (lowercase B)

               U+00A3 Pound imports as , (comma).

The above 4 characters were all imported correctly in Linux.

So far, the only non-ascii UTF-8 character I have heard of in an ofx file

from ING Australia, is U+2019 (Right Single Quotation Mark).

Regards,

Chris Good