[GNC] Reconciling subaccounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 08:38:11 EDT 2022

John,

I don't know about "typically." There are any of a number of ways that someone might use placeholder accounts. In my own books, I have placeholder accounts for brokerage holdings, where the placeholder represents an institution's account and the leaf accounts represent individual securities. I also have placeholder accounts that represent a class of account types-- for example, a placeholder for savings accounts at different institutions.

The OP appears to be using the structure to implement an envelope allocation system, in which case the subaccounts are virtual. They want both the real and the virtual accounts to show that reconciliation. GnuCash doesn't currently do that.

Whether that's a bug or a feature (and whether a sensible implementation can be devised to address it) is perhaps a different matter.

⁣David T. ​