[GNC] Stock/tickers Geoff

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 23:32:54 EDT 2022

Those screenshots give more information than you realize.  I see that you
have installed GnuCash in the Linux Mint operating system.  While I have
not used  Linux Mint myself, I see from information available on
DistroWatch that Mint does not come with GnuCash pre-installed but it uses
the Debian package manager.  Thus you may have any of several different
versions of GnuCash and, in fact, any of several different versions of
Linux Mint.  Since you finally stated that you have GnuCash version 4.12,
it is possible that you have a flatpack version, which may have some quirks
different than versions available through the package manager.  While the
general principles of documenting securities in GnuCash have not changed,
some details have, so it is still of value to know the precise versions you
are using.  One area in particular that has been having  issues recently,
if you have been watching the maillist, is in downloading security prices
through the Finance/Quote module.

Your screenshots show that you have not completed the setup of a brokerage
account to contain your securities and to manage the currency transactions
that you need to purchase and sell securities as outlined in the chapter of
the help manual describing security investments.  You need to read that
chapter.  If you cannot access the manual with the F1 key, a common problem
with some GnuCash installations in Linux, you should go to the GnuCash
website and read it there.  Then you  can ask specific questions one
screenshot at a time and get good answers from the users and developers
that watch this maillist.

On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 3:08 PM James Baxter via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Geoff.I know we all make mistakes. As I am 76 years old/young. As I love
> the email you sent. I am going to read it again.i have Gnucash 4.12. As I
> know when the program was writen. it is not the same. As we need to stop
> and looking, see if we can do better.
>
> Below are some of the screen shots. I have about 8 in them. but only
> listed a few of them in the Gnucash.
> So for know. have a nice night or day.
> thanksJames Baxterkangaroo52 at yahoo.com

David Carlson