[GNC] Stock/tickers

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 00:52:05 EDT 2022

Hello again James Baxter

 >I know we all make mistakes.
Yes, don't worry, I make far more than my share of my very own mistakes
- just ask my wife about me!

Thank you very much for sending through those three screenshots.  That
is a good achievement, because many people on this GnuCash list have a
lot of difficulty in sending screenshots.  Well done you!

In return, I am sending you four screenshots attached to this email.  I
am trying to show you how to record your purchase of 300 Amazon shares
at $113 each.  Please try and follow these four easy steps as follows:-

(1) SCREENSHOT: gnc_jb1__Add_Security
The very first step is to open the Security Editor from the "Tools"
menu, then click "Add" to create a new Security for Amazon.
Please make sure you enter the details exactly as I have shown in this
screenshot.

(2) SCREENSHOT: gnc_jb2__Link_Account_to_Security
The second step is to create a new Account (by clicking on the "New"
button) and linking it to your newly created Amazon Security.
Again, please enter the details exactly as I have shown.  This Account
must have a "Account Type" of "Stock".

(3) SCREENSHOT: gnc_jb3__Get_Quotes
The third step is optional, but it gives us the opportunity to see if
you have successfully installed the Finance Quote module.
In this step, you open the Price Database from the "Tools" menu, then
click on the "Get Quotes" button and wait a minute or two to see if any
prices are retrieved.
DO NOT BE CONCERNED IF NOTHING HAPPENS OR YOU GET AN ERROR.

(4) SCREENSHOT: gnc_jb4__Buy_Your_Shares
In the last step, you finally get to enter the details of your share
purchase.  Open up your newly created Amazon Account (by double clicking
on it) and enter the purchase transaction exactly as I have shown.
The Debit entry is to your Amazon stock account.
The Credit entry is to your bank account where the funds came from.

So James Baxter, I very much hope that these instructions and the
attached screenshots will enable you to make a little more progress on
your GnuCash journey.

 > As we need to stop and looking, see if we can do better.
And thank you too for this very good advice - I will indeed try to do
better.

Please report back with your progress at your leisure.

Best regards

Geoff
=====