[GNC] Reconciling subaccounts

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Mon Oct 10 09:11:42 EDT 2022

Yes, so do I.  But, the essence of reconciling with financial institutions is to use an account structure that can be aligned with the statements the institution provides.  And reconciliation is a top consideration since your financial books are not the actual thing.

As for roll-up:  You simply cannot reconcile a brokerage account (for example) except by reconciling each individual holding and core account.  It’s inherently a bottom-up process.  And the same is true of bank books.  Given multiple checking accounts at a particular bank, they must be individually reconciled.  There is no rolling them up for purposes of reconciliation.  And superimposing an envelope budgeting scheme on multiple institutions with multiple accounts would require, not just flattening, but an alternate structure.

The GnuCash documentation on budgeting is pretty clear on what the software provides in that regard.  Whether or not a feature that allows flattening a hierarchy of accounts for reconciliation purposes would be useful, it doesn’t currently exist.  And it’s not particularly difficult to establish that fact.  RTFM.  You can try using a paint scraper as a chisel, but don’t expect a sympathetic ear at the hardware store.