[GNC] Sub-Accounting (Was: Problem with missing balance in a parent account **FINAL POST**)

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:04:27 EDT 2022

I strongly -- but respectfully -- disagree.

Gnucash works *brilliantly* for a sub-accounting use case with a single
bank account at a financial institution comprised of multiple sub-accounts.

For example, until my children were old enough/mature enough to have their
own savings accounts at our bank, I held all of their individual savings,
plus my own in a single account at the bank to take advantage of higher
interest rates for higher balances.

Like this:
Savings Account 1234 (Placeholder because I didn't want transactions
accidentally ending up here. Everything needs to be in a sub-account for my
own piece of mind)
--> Main Savings
--> Child A Savings
--> Child B Savings
--> Child C Savings
--> Vacation
--> Capital Improvement
--> etc. (other special purpose accounts)

I can always immediately tell, within Gnucash, what is due each child or
what their available balance is.

When reconciling to the bank statement, I can select the representation of
the bank account (Savings Account 1234), then click Actions -> Reconcile,
enter the ending balance from the statement, click Include sub-accounts,
and away I go. The reconcile window allows me to select any unreconciled
transaction from any of the sub-accounts and reconcile back to the
statement balance. Internal transfers between sub-accounts are not on the
bank statement, obviously, but can also be reconciled in the Reconcile
window as they will definitionally net to 0.00.

I can also allocate interest amongst the various sub-accounts with a single
credit to an Interest Income account and a debit to each sub-account.

The only place where this system breaks down is importing an OFX file as
the transaction importer doesn't understand matching transactions to sub
accounts. For me, this is a small, small price to pay for all the other
advantages I cited above.

I also employ this system for credit cards where certain transactions are
subject to a promotional interest rate, or I want to keep vacation
transactions separate. A single payment to the credit card issuer can be
allocated to each sub-account. Balances can be compared to the promotional
balances on the statement.

Robin