[GNC] rounding of Invoice vs Accounts Receivable

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 17 15:37:41 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-17 09:53, gnucash at boeziek.nl wrote:
> Thank you Stan,
>
> Indeed inside EU it is compulsory to advertise pricing including VAT. So I have to work backwards.

Ah -- I'm guessing that's because VAT is imposed at several stages
between raw material and final sale? Here in the US, as you may know, we
have sales tax (different in every state, and in subdivisions of many
states), but it is paid only by the final consumer.

> It would be great if GnuCash will either (1) allow you to edit the tax
> or revenue amount in Invoice or (2) remove the odd-cent from the
> “largest” amount (percentage wise will be the smallest deviation), in
> this case the net revenue.

That seems like a reasonable enhancement request, but hopefully someone
will jump in to tell us how it can already be done in GC.

I'll mention in passing that I _wish_ it were compulsory here to
advertise the actual total price including sales tax and other taxes.
That is usual for gasoline (petrol) here in the US, but as industry
practice rather than by regulation. However, just about every other
product is advertised with a base price excluding sales tax. To make it
worse, many products -- air fares, hotel rates, and cable, Internet, and
telephone, to name just a few -- advertise an attractive low price but
then charge "fees" that add a substantial increment to the advertised
price. Such deceptive practice is unfortunately quite legal here in
California, and in every other state as far as I'm aware.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com