[GNC] rounding of Invoice vs Accounts Receivable

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 19:03:28 EDT 2022

Yes and no for me... with each city in our (US) state allowed to add some
percentage points to the sales tax, it would be difficult for a store to
include the sales tax... but I have shopped in Europe and very much like
that the price in the store is what I pay at the register. In addition,
some states charge "sales tax" on food and others don't... when I was
growing up, we lived right along a state border; one charged sales tax on
food and one didn't. With a larger family, my mother absolutely did the
bulk of her shopping in the state that didn't tax food. While I would
prefer a consumption tax over an income tax, as things stand now, I don't
want a national sales tax and think that we'll just have to muddle along as
we are.

However, I am absolutely appalled by places (usually internet or
mail-order) that charge "shipping and handling", and use this to increase
the price. I've paid $5.95 for "shipping and handling", only to find that
the shipping costs were actually something like $2.40.  I assume that
"handling" is pure profit, and really should be part of the price. I
understand that shipping varies by which state the merchandise is destined
for, but I would think a seller could come up with a reasonable average
shipping cost and just give me the price.

I would like a slight variation of your idea -- all products should be what
the seller gets; their product should include fees and shipping and
handling costs.  However, taxes are a different matter. Hotels have special
hotel taxes in nearly every city, but these, I assume, differ. I don't mind
the taxes being spelled out separately, because these are mandated by
government, with none of the funds going to the hotel.

--
Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com
Micah 6:8