[GNC] rounding of Invoice vs Accounts Receivable

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 15:50:15 EDT 2022

On 10/17/2022 11:03 AM, gnucash at boeziek.nl wrote:
> Hi,
> I created a Sales Tax Table entry of 20%.
> When I create an Invoice of EUR 109,95 with tax included and select my Tax table, GNUCash calculates EUR 18,33 tax and EUR 91,63 in net revenue.
> My Accounts Receivable however will not increase by EUR 109,95 but by 109,96. So 1 cent difference. (the precise amounts are: sales is EUR 91,625 and tax EUR 18,325 and thus both are rounded up)
>
> Is there a way to have the tax rounded down (by 0,5cent) so that the total stays EUR 109,95?
> I really prefer to have accounts being 0 at the end of a period, instead of all these loose cents adding up (makes reconciliation harder).
>
> Thanks,
> Etienne

This is NOT a rounded-up rounded-down issue. It is a when calculated
issue if both a set of items and their sum.

Rounded (A+B) does not (necessarily) equal (Rounded A) + (Rounded B)
And how far the distance can become depends on the number of items
involved. If there were a couple dozen items the range of "answers"
could vary by several units. The calculation of "fuzz" is a fine art
(when a computer program is checking for equality between amounts
calculated in different ways the program decides they are equal if the
difference between them is less than the "fuzz" -- and I have had to
figure what the correct fuzz should be in my days in the cypher mines)

SO --- what are the actual tax rules of the jurisdiction? If several
items are bought at the same time is the correct VAT the sum of the VAT
due for each item or is it the VAT due on the sum of the items?

Michael D Novack