[GNC] Help please. Upgraded from 2.3.4 to 4.12. Worked fine. But database does not load. Win 11.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Oct 20 01:52:54 EDT 2022

Unlikely, but you might get lucky. (You really don't have *any* backup
at all? Really? You've been using a decades old version of GnuCash and
you never make backups?)

Note, the GnuCash file, by default unless you changed it, is a
compressed XML file. Uncompressed, it is just plain text and human
readable. (albeit in a markup language) How the file is arranged has
changed over the years, but the raw data should still be there.

As for 'developing a problem afterwards' it could be that GnuCash is
proceeding with data migration in the background, but it may have gotten
hung up on something, or it is just really taking a long time.

As David noted, running from the command line, or getting a Trace File
might shed some light as to what is going on.

You *might* get lucky by removing 4.12, going back to 2.3.4, then
proceeding as I outlined, *but* be darned sure to MAKE A COPY of your
file before doing so!

Honestly, I'd go the route David suggested first to get some output and
then report back here what you get.

Also, what do you mean by 'blank screen'? Can you take a screenshot and
attach it in a reply? (do not paste in-line, it needs to be attached)

Maybe do that FIRST, and then once we see what you see, we can advise
further.

Regards,
Adrien