[GNC] Help please. Upgraded from 2.3.4 to 4.12. Worked fine. But database does not load. Win 11.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Oct 20 13:59:38 EDT 2022

By 'backup' we don't mean something you do within GnuCash, we mean
something you do with your entire computer/personal files.

If you never make backups of any of your files, or only rarely, then I
guess you're stuck rebuilding data if you can't recover this file. (this
would be the case with ANY app, or hard drive failure, lightning strike,
fire, flood, etc.)

The Wiki *well* advises how to upgrade properly, and that includes
making sure you have a copy/backup of your file.

I haven't checked the GnuCash Manual, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't
advise the same.

Thanks for the screenshots.

Once you get some feedback from the command line and a trace file, maybe
we'll see things aren't a disaster.

Note, if you have log files dating all the way back to your last known
good copy that works with 2.3.4 again, you can 'replay' those logs using
2.3.4 to rebuild the file, then make a copy (!!) and proceed with the
incremental upgrade. (making copies at each step!)

Regards,
Adrien