[GNC] invoicing

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Oct 26 07:32:50 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Tue, October 25, 2022 4:08 pm, arthur brogard wrote:
> Thanks for that.
> I am after finding proper business practice.  So I guess I should not be
> invoicing for the total amount I see as outstanding?
> I should invoice for each week  and when there is an outstanding unpaid
> amount I could note that on the invoice perhaps?
> Or perhaps send a 'statement of account' ?

Correct.  If you buy a sofa for $300, but only pay off $250, and then buy
another sofa the next week for $300 -- the invoice for the 2nd sofa should
be $300 -- because that is how much the 2nd sofa costs.  But then the
statement of account (GnuCash calls it a "Customer Report") will say that
you were invoiced $300 for sofa-1, paid $250, invoiced $300 for sofa-2,
and owe $350.

> What would you do on rent day if an amount was owing?

See above.

> And from the tone of your answer I guess it's not considered imperative
> that invoices be numbered sequentially but it's probably preferable.
> I have been dating them rather than numbering them.  Giving each one a
> number that is the date and adding a '1' to it for the first one for that
> date.

Correct.  Local laws may put a requirement on invoice identifiers, but
GnuCash certainly doesn't care, and AFAIK (IANAA), in the US there is no
specific requirement.

> Wanting to check things one day I realised it would be easier for me if
> they were all numbered sequentially for then I could be sure I'd taken
> them all into account when looking back.
> And that's when I realised that looking back and adding them up isn't
> going to do much when I invoice the way I do.  So I came asking.
> So number them and make them for the week's rent only.
> If there's a water or repair bill it goes in sequence.
> then I can total them all at any time and compare with receipts and see
> where we are at.

If there are other charges on top of the rent, I think it is safe to
either include it on the invoice where it is applied, or to create another
invoice for the additional charges.

> It's notifying him, reminding him, of the outstanding that's the problem.
> Just note it on the invoice I guess.

Yes, you could put it in the Invoice Notes.  Where it says "Thank you for
your patronage" you could change it to read "Reminder: You still have an
outstanding balance of...."

Or send a Customer Report along with the invoice.  Or maybe even instead
of the invoice.

> :)

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745