[GNC] Total and Grand Total at the end of a Transaction Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Oct 26 15:46:39 EDT 2022

On 10/26/22 1:58 PM, Peter S. Shenkin wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion about General Journal.
>
> I like the way the Account Report is formatted; namely, in "hanging
> paragraphs" with the first split, only, labeled with the Description. This
> makes it easy to discern the boundaries between transactions.

Funny, the way to do that with the Transaction Report is to switch to
Options > Display > Detail level > 'One split per line'. Now, for each
account, the split for that account will be first, with the others indented.

You can certainly do this with more than one account, but it might get a
bit messy overall as transactions will be repeated in each account
section where they have splits.

You'll have to play with the display options and the General tab for
sorting to get something you like. (you can leave the Options window
open and click Apply each time till you're happy with it, then save the
report configuration)

> But when I ask for running balances, *Reports>Account Report* only shows
> them for the first account in each transaction and the balances are all
> shown as zero. The report is labeled Transaction Report. (Even the ledger
> obtained shown from Tools>General Journal shows zero running balances.)

Yes, the General Journal and its Account Report will show zero balances,
because a balance here would be non-sensical.

Another option entirely would be to play with exporting your
transactions to CSV and opening in a Spreadsheet or other app.

Also, note there is an Account Summary Report which shows the balance in
all accounts. (by default. You can change this to a subset, as well as
the date of the balances.)

Regards,
Adrien