[GNC] Automatic payments and interest during reconciliation?

Paul Kinzelman paul at kinzelman.com
Thu Oct 27 12:09:12 EDT 2022

My apologies for posing this again, but when I posted it a couple
of months ago, nobody responded.

On some of my charge card accounts, when I reconcile the account
with the statement, a pop-up happens that automatically allows
me to record the payment. For those accounts, the pop-up happens
every time I reconcile those accounts.

On other charge card accounts, when I reconcile them, nothing happens
after reconciliation, and I have to manually enter the payment
transaction.  And for these accounts, every time I reconcile them, I
have to manually enter the transaction.

The same kind of things happens also on reconciling
savings/checking for entering the interest every month,
on some accounts I always get a pop-up to enter interest
and on some accounts I never get the popup.

What determines whether a payment or interest window
pops up during reconciliation or not?

I looked under help | "Reconciling an Account to a Statement" where it
says: "You can change this behaviour in the GnuCash Preferences from
the menu Edit | Preferences in the Register tab by activating the
checkbox Automatic credit card payment."  but that's checked on
all the accounts.

Is that a per-account thing? Or a global setting for all accounts? The
help implied that it's per-account but it looks like it's global
because it was set when I selected an account that's not doing
auto-popup, when to Edit | Preferences | Register and the "Automatic
credit card payment" seems to be always set.

Under Account tab | account | right-click | edit account there is a box
"Auto interest transfer" that when I hover it sounds like what
I want, but it's never checked even on accounts that do have
the popup for the payment.

I'm confused.

TIA!