[GNC] Stock Tickers AND Netiquette WAS Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol 234, Issue 6

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 00:04:48 EDT 2022

please see below

On September 3, 2022 7:36:57 PM CDT, James Baxter <kangaroo52 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Sir, I'm not shore what you are talking about.I get buy. But was asking about entering stock/tickers. The way I see it. Don't work.
>ThanksJames Baxter Kangaroo52 at yahoo.com
>
>Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Greetings, James Baxter.

You replied directly to me instead of the list.

I am copying you AND the GnuCash User email list with my response so everyone can see it.

I changed the subject of the email to the topic you mentioned plus the one I mentioned so people know what we're discussing.

Note I also edited the thread ABOVE this message so you can see exactly what parts of the message I am reacting to. I'm NOT including the whole thread. I'm NOT responding to the digest.

When you respond to the Digest, please copy the subject line from the digest topic you're responding to to the subject of the email.

When you have a new topic to discuss, please do not respond to a random message from the list. Create a NEW message, and give it a helpful email subject so we know the topic you're asking about, and send your NEW message directly to the email list. Use this address:

gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org

When you send a message to that address, all of us who subscribe to the list get the message. It might take a few hours, but most reasonable topics get reasonable responses within a few hours or days.

Folks on the list become frustrated when these messages don't follow the suggestions because it makes responding via the email list very difficult.

As for the topic you mentioned in your message to me, I personally cannot help with the "stock ticker" topic, and that's why the discussion has to happen on the list.

If you have someone who helps you with the computer, maybe you can show this message to them and ask them to help you learn things like how to edit your reply (to trim extraneous lines) and change the subject of an email message (to keep the topic together in a "thread").

I am afraid the person who _I_ responded to with my lighthearted comment was asking about disciplinary actions. In case you don't understand why that might be called for, it's because of the "Netiquette" (Internet Etiquette) issues I've been describing in this message.

As far as I know, the most likely disciplinary action would be moderation, meaning someone would review each message you send to the list, and if your message doesn't follow the protocol, the list moderator would, if they have the time, suggest corrective action. Or if they're busy that day they might just ignore your message.

We don't want that to happen! We really DO want to help. Unfortunately email is difficult enough to manage already, and the GnuCash-user list has rules that make it more likely we'll understand your issue and keep it organized to help everyone learn to use GnuCash.

Note the text below... That's one other rule I forgot. When someone replies to you and you reply, please copy your response to the email list. That keeps everything public, AND because I am not an authority nor am I any sort of expert. I'm just another subscriber to the list.