[GNC] Problems upgrading to 4.8a

Phil Wolff adiabat at centurylink.net
Mon Sep 5 11:01:22 EDT 2022

Geert ~

Thanks for responding!
That may be true for a Flatpak installation, but mine is what GNC calls
"pristine," and I've found the documents at
- file:///usr/share/doc/gnucash-docs/gnucash-guide-en/index.html
- file:///usr/share/doc/gnucash-docs/gnucash-help-en/help.html

~ Phil

On 9/5/22 00:46, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Regarding the documentation, it seems like Ubuntu 22.04.1 ships a newer help viewer that's
> not compatible with where GnuCash stores its guide and manual on disk. This has been fixed
> for the future GnuCash 5.0 but not for the current 4.x series.
>
> As temporary workarounds you could either
> - browse the documentation online (via the gnucash website) or
> - load the documentation from the command line using one of these commands
>
>    yelp /usr/share/gnome/help/C/gnucash-guide/gnucash-guide.xml
>    yelp /usr/share/gnome/help/C/gnucash-help/gnucash-help.xml
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> Op zondag 4 september 2022 00:14:09 CEST schreef David Cousens:
>> Phil,
>>
>> The installation of the GnuCash help and Tutorial and concepts guide is a
>> separate download and installation from the installation of the program and
>> is available under a separate link in the panels on the left on the GNuCash
>> webpage i.e. https://gnucash.org/docs.phtml .  They should also be able to
>> be installed from Ubuntu's package manager. Not sure about the scheduled
>> transactions - I would expect them to be stored in the book but they may be
>> stored in the user preference information. This wiki
>> page https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations has information
>> on where they are stored and you may need to copy them from a backup of
>> your old system.
>>
>> David Cousens
>>
>> On Sat, 2022-09-03 at 12:21 -0700, Phil Wolff via gnucash-user wrote:
>>>     I was running Ubuntu 20.04.4 and whatever GnuCash version was available
>>>     in that release, and all was well. Then, around the middle of August
>>>     when 22.04.1 became available, I upgraded and GnuCash was updated to
>>>     4.8a. Clicking the desktop icon, which used to present my database
>>>     page, now opens a largely empty window titled "Unsaved Book - GnuCash."
>>>     Selecting Tutorial or Contents in the Help menu either does nothing
>>>     visible or pops up a window saying, "Document Not Found. The URI
>>>     ‘[1]ghelp:gnucash-guide’ does not point to a valid page." I eventually
>>>     determined that I could access my data by selecting the "File/Open…"
>>>     menu item and navigating to the data file in the .gnucash folder of my
>>>     home directory. Although sub-optimal, this worked for me until
>>>     September 1 arrived and none of my first-of-the-month scheduled
>>>     transactions were posted. This suggests that something vital that
>>>     needed to happen during the move from the older version of GnuCash to
>>>     4.8a ... didn't. Anyone have any ideas? Any help will be greatly
>>>     appreciated!
>>>
>>> References
>>>
>>>     1. ghelp:gnucash-guide’
What was that about a rising tide lifting all boats? What if you don't
have a boat?
    — Eugene Robinson