[GNC] Mutual Fund Dividend After Sale

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 5 13:32:01 EDT 2022

On 9/5/22 12:13 PM, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:
> No I didn't delete the account?
> Why would I do silly thing like that and lose all that history?
>
> The account is hidden because it's balance is 0.
>
> Reappearing means exactly what it says.
> I was no longer in the account tree, i.e. list, because after the sale
> it's balance became 0. No matter how I record that late dividend the
> balance becomes non 0 and the account reappears in the account tree or
> list.

I didn't think you deleted it, but wasn't sure what was going on.

I can set an account with a non-zero balance to 'hidden' and it stays
that way, even with subsequent activity. I can set it to hidden with a
zero balance, add another transaction to make it non-zero, and it stays
hidden. I'm not sure why your account is showing up.

Did you by chance set a View filter on your Accounts tab that would
affect this?

> I don't under stand the last part.
>
>> A Dividend receipt would normally be between some asset account
>> ('bank' or a brokerage cash account if direct deposit, 'undeposited
>> funds' if by paper check) according to how you received the money, and
>> an Income/Revenue account, say 'Dividends Received'. The FundXYZ
>> account shouldn't be touched at all.

As it states, 'normally' a dividend transaction doesn't involve the
fund/stock at all. It is a separate transaction between asset & income
accounts. Though David just informed me that there may be times you
might record it there, which I had not thought of.

Regards,
Adrien