[GNC] Mutual Fund Dividend After Sale

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Sep 5 15:09:31 EDT 2022

> On Sep 5, 2022, at 10:32 AM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/5/22 12:13 PM, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:
>> No I didn't delete the account?
>> Why would I do silly thing like that and lose all that history?
>> The account is hidden because it's balance is 0.
>> Reappearing means exactly what it says.
>> I was no longer in the account tree, i.e. list, because after the sale it's balance became 0. No matter how I record that late dividend the balance becomes non 0 and the account reappears in the account tree or list.
>
> I didn't think you deleted it, but wasn't sure what was going on.
>
> I can set an account with a non-zero balance to 'hidden' and it stays that way, even with subsequent activity. I can set it to hidden with a zero balance, add another transaction to make it non-zero, and it stays hidden. I'm not sure why your account is showing up.
>
> Did you by chance set a View filter on your Accounts tab that would affect this?
>> I don't under stand the last part.
>>
>>> A Dividend receipt would normally be between some asset account ('bank' or a brokerage cash account if direct deposit, 'undeposited funds' if by paper check) according to how you received the money, and an Income/Revenue account, say 'Dividends Received'. The FundXYZ account shouldn't be touched at all.
>
> As it states, 'normally' a dividend transaction doesn't involve the fund/stock at all. It is a separate transaction between asset & income accounts. Though David just informed me that there may be times you might record it there, which I had not thought of.

In both cases you record an empty split to the stock account. That doesn't change the account's balance and therefore won't unhide it from the Accounts page.

Note that hidden accounts still appear in the transfer account pick list; if you want to remove them from there make the account a placeholder. That also prevents you from adding splits, but you can easily turn placeholder off to record a late dividend and back on when done.

Regards,
John Ralls