[GNC] More UI downgrades

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 10:43:47 EDT 2022

It seems every time I upgrade there is some deterioration in user interface
design. I upgrade to Gnucash when I upgrade my Linux system. I've just
upgraded to Mint 21 which came with Guncash 4.8.

In this edition the edit of any amount now opens a grey box where the
number in it is unresponsive to the mouse so if you try to swipe across the
field to clear it it doesn't do anything. This is contrary to how all other
software since time immemorial behaved. You have to use the keyboard to
delete characters. How could the developers think this is an improvement?

While griping I will also mention the previous gripe I had. When
reconciling I used to use the space bar (I think, it was a long time ago)
to fill in the box and automatically move down to the next item. It made
reconciling pretty slick. Then it was "upgraded" so it no longer moves
down. You either have to use the mouse to fill in the boxes or hit the
space bar followed by the down arrow. I complained at the time but the
response was a justification which was impossible to understand, which I
took to be obfuscation of the fact that it could not be justified. Now
after such a long time how about reinstating the previous behaviour?

Otherwise great software. Many thanks for the dedication of the developers.