[GNC] new to Gnucash - help with general information

Gyle McCollam gmccollam at live.com
Sat Sep 10 22:43:47 EDT 2022

Donna,
I use the same Gnucash, but Windows 11.  1st, let me say that Geoff info was helpful. There are several folders on my system for gnucash, but all the data and backups reside in gnucash in my documents folder.  There are other files associated with gnucash that it puts in other places that I would not put in my main data files location.  When you say you have files in 3 locations, which files are you referring to?

your questions:

  1.  gnucash saves all data files in one location by default.  This includes your main data file, as ????.gnucash.  The log files that Goeff mentioned ????.gnucash.datetime.log and the lock file he mentioned ????.gnucash.LCK.
  2.  As long as you didn't delete the ????.gnucash or any newer log files you should have been OK, but you probably deleted your current file and that is why you lost data.
  3.  In the "Edit/Preferences/General", there is an Auto Save time Interval that you can set for it to create backups and a "Retain log/backups" for the number of days to save these backups.  This way it can do the deletions for you automatically and you don't have to worry about what files you are deleting.
  4.  As Geoff said it will save the file to the same place it was retrieved from, unless you use "save as" and specify a different location.
  5.  Geoff is also correct here that gnucash saves backup so you don't lose data, but backuping up to another media is always a good idea.

Another helpful place to look is in "Help/Tutorial and  Concepts Guide".  In the search box type "backing up and recovering data" enter and it will take you to the page explaining how to restore and helpful information about how every thing works.

Thank You,

Gyle McCollam

Gyle McCollam

gmccollam at live.com<mailto:gmccollam at gyleshomes.com>           email