[GNC] Pre-Payments into Liabilities

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 12 16:20:52 EDT 2022

And to add to what Stan & Gyle said,

Several years ago, I played around with pre-payments using a
Liabilities:Customer Deposits account but that was a mess. The way the
Business Features of GnuCash work, it is *much* easier to just Process
Payment, letting it post to AR and then apply it later to an invoice.
You also get a nice 'Statement of Account' with the Customer Report
which would otherwise not reflect the pre-payment.

IF I would ever encounter the situation that I'm not going to invoice
that customer ever again, and would have to carry the prepayment funds
for a long period of time for some odd reason rather than issue a timely
refund, I would then do a transfer from AR to the Liabilities:Customer
Deposits account and handle from there. But that would be a very odd case.

Regards,
Adrien