[GNC] new to Gnucash - help with general information

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 12 16:58:25 EDT 2022

Donna,

Others have sufficiently answered, but I'll add some points about backups:

There is the maxim, for least risk, that if your data does not exist in
three places, on three different types of media, you can consider it
'not existing at all.'

That might be extreme for some folks. As noted, your appetite for risk
will determine your backup strategy and methods.

If you have your data on your computer, that's one location and one type
of media. (the internal drive most likely)

If you make a copy on removable media like a USB drive, (larger drive,
or thumb/key) that's another, but for better protection this should be
stored at a different physical location. (or easily taken with you if
you must leave the main location of your computer for some emergency) On
this point, do not confound a laptop as a main computer with this second
location because it is portable. You should have at least one other copy.

If you then also utilize a cloud (just someone else's computer) backup
service, this gives you a third location. Cloud Backup services, due to
the nature of their product, *also* backup their/your data, and use
methods to avoid data loss due to failed drives. (data centers employ
arrays of drives, they constantly test their drives, and the replace
them regularly - far more than 99.9999% of regular users do)

As for *types* of media, consider that your computer and any
external/removable drives will employ magnetic storage and contain
electronics. These are susceptible to of course, strong magnets,
electrical surges, water, & fire damage.

While not as common these days, optical media, such as CD, DVD, &
BlueRay, while of course still susceptible to fire damage, have no
issues with water or magnets. (or other electronic failure) Though the
drive needed to read them will be vulnerable, it is of course more
replaceable than your data. There are 'archival' quality discs available
for long term storage. I probably wouldn't go to that expense for
'current' financial data, but I certainly would consider it for things
like photos and scanned legal documents. More transient backups, like my
GnuCash data file, are fine on cheap CDs or DVDs. (the choice there is
just a matter of storage capacity versus cost)

Regards,
Adrien