[GNC] Issue Opening GnuCash in versions above 4.9 on Windows 11

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Sep 15 10:52:33 EDT 2022

Richard,

(your message about downloading from gnucash.org doesn't seem to be
appearing for me via gmane - so I'll just reply to this message)

Okay, now that we've eliminated non-official sources, and since this
looks like a dll most likely provided by GnuCash, I'd suggest the following:

1. Do a search for libgdk-3-0.dll
2. Note where it is stored
3. Uninstall GnuCash v4.11
4. Check the above location to make sure libgdk-3-0.dll is gone. If not,
move it to somewhere else temporarily, or add an extension like '.bak'
so it can't be 'seen'.
4. Download & Install GnuCash v4.9 (the last one that worked for you right?)
5. Check to see if it installed libgdk again, and if so, inspect its
properties to see what version is reported and make a note if different
than above.
6. Open your file and perform Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All
7. Close GnuCash, and uninstall v4.9
8. Check again to see if libdgk has been removed, if not rename or move
it too.
9. Download & Install GnuCash v4.11
10. Check libgdk again, including version.
11. Try opening GnuCash by starting the app - not double clicking your
file. (GnuCash will open the last used file)

Does that work?

The purpose of these steps:

1. Determine if version of the dll changed from 4.9 to 4.11
2. If they are different, was the old version properly cleaned up?
3. The issue may be with your data file that is causing the newer dll
version to choke.

If the above doesn't work, more debugging info would be needed. (Stack
Trace, and/or Trace File)

Error 'c0000005' from Windows appears to be a memory access error. That
additional debugging info might point to what is causing it.

Also, libgdk could be provided by other apps. (this is part of the GIMP
toolkit and is used by many apps designed originally for Linux,
including GIMP itself, Inkscape, GnuCash, etc.)

Regards,
Adrien