[GNC] Deposits

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Sep 18 22:47:16 EDT 2022

If you are using the 'business features' rather than manually keeping
track of 'customer' accounts, then the best way to handle deposits
(a.k.a. 'pre-payments') is as a payment.

Simply use the Business > Customer > Process Payment feature to record
the pre-payment. You don't select an 'invoice' or document, just put the
date, amount, and the account based on payment type. (Cash, Bank,
Undeposited Funds, etc.) Put a note if you like.

The Customer Report will act like a 'Statement of Account' and reflect
these pre-payments.

When you've invoiced the customers, you then do another 'process
payment' where you select the previous payments & the respective invoice
to apply them to. The Customer Report will reflect this activity, and
can even be made to show which pre-payments were applied to which invoices.

Credit Notes are better utilized to reduce the amount already invoiced
instead of editing the invoice once issued and presented to the customer.

Think of Credit Notes as after-the-fact discounts & allowances, or as a
'return' feature. They are essentially 'negative' or 'reverse' invoices,
but they are not payments.

They can however, be applied 'like payments' to reduce the amount owed,
and against particular previous invoices.

Regards,
Adrien