[GNC] Register sort order

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Sep 26 11:35:28 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Mon, September 26, 2022 11:25 am, Gyle McCollam wrote:
> I would like to control the order that items are displayed in the
> register.  I use the standard sort order as that has multiple sort
> criteria and the other options only show one.  However, the Standard Sort
> Order shows:
>
> Keep normal order: date posted [day], number, date entered [second] [a] ,
> description.
>

> In the attached JPEG there are 4 transactions.  They are all posted as
> 09/26/2022 and appear to be sorted on the 2nd criteria "number".  However,
> when I change the 4th transaction, which currently starts with a 19 while
> all the others start with 09, to 0191774074, it still is listed 4th.  You
> would think 01 would be before 09, but it doesn't change the order.

The "number" column is actually treated as a number!  So it is not sorted
lexically but sorted numerically.  That means 090 will come before 0190.

If you have a "number" with a non-numeric piece, it will only sort up to
that non-numeric piece, so 1a and 1b will sort "the same", as will d1 and
d2.

> Originally, I thought it would be better to have a sort order that was
> based on Date, Debit/Credit, but I can manipulate the standard order
> exactly how I want it to display if it actually sorted as it says it does.
>  Am I missing something that is causing the "number" criteria to not sort
> correctly.  If I remove the number completely it moves it to the 1st
> position, but if I insert a blank in the first character it has no effect.

Possibly.  See above.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745