[GNC] Security timezone

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 2 11:57:31 EDT 2023

> On Apr 2, 2023, at 1:37 AM, Fred Tydeman <tydeman.fred at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am talking about price quotes.  I am trying to get month end and quarter end valuations.
> So that I can compare what GnuCash has versus statements from broker (to see if I have
> any missing or wrong transactions).
>
> In a couple of years, I plan on living full time on a ship as it travels around the world.

So the problem is that the quotes were as usual undated and although it was still 31 March at home it was 1 April where you are now and since the quotes didn't have a date on them GnuCash was marking them as 1 April, and that breaks reports using the nearest before price source.

The easiest way to handle that is to set the TZ variable to whatever time zone the market you're interested is in, but there's no good solution even possible if you hold securities traded in multiple time zones, especially if some are in Asia and others in America.

Regards,
John Ralls