[GNC] Company plan for stocks and stock options

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 7 16:58:42 EDT 2023

On 4/5/2023 9:01 AM, Wolfgang Paul Rauchholz wrote:
> Hi Stan / Murugan all,
>
> Thanks for picking up and providing your insight. That was very helpful.
> I would assume that options and stocks I have not exercised yet cannot get
> managed in gnucash?
> Only when exercising options into stocks or selling stock or options?
>
> The objective with gnucash is that I want to manage personal finances;
> expense control, planning, etc..

Let me ask you  simple question that should clarify the can do/can;t do
in gnucash matter.

Assume we are 50+ years ago and so you are still doing bookkeeping the
old fashioned way, pen and in on accounting lined paper (either in bound
volumes or loose leaf)  --- Could you THEN do this accounting you want
for options not yet exercised, stock you were given but not allowed to
sell immediately, etc. ?  That of course assumes knowing HOW to do the
accounting for these things*.

If so, if doable the old fashioned way pen and ink on paper then you can
certainly do using gnucash. ll gnucash is doing is partially automating
the process. Very simple (two account) transactions can be entered
without filling in a "journal" entry (you are actually entering "journal
mode" when entering a split transaction) and posting form journal to
ledger is automated, no errors.

Michael D Novack

* In other words, you might have to look up HOW to account for options
you were given (as opposed to an option you purchased) in an accounting
text that dealt with that topic.