[GNC] Next-level Budgeting

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 23:38:15 EDT 2023

I used to use Quicken's budgeting features, but found it buggy and it would
mislead me... so I moved the budget to a spreadsheet. I then run reports in
GnuCash to look at my expenditures and compare them to the spreadsheet.

I'm doing a fixed amount per month because it is easier... but a better
budget would be to also have seasonal changes - for example, if one has gas
heat one only has gas utility expenses in the cold months. Expenses
associated with lawn care don't occur (very much) in the winter.

It's just a little more trouble to set up a variable budget than what I
have now; so far, it is not worth the effort.... maybe someday.