[GNC] Reorganize Trading accounts

Fred Tydeman tydeman.fred at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 02:36:29 EDT 2023

When I first setup my file, all of the investments / securities were
organized by type:
  Cash-US
  Cash-International
  Bonds-US
  Bonds-International
  Stock-US
  Stock-International
  RealEstate-US
  RealEstate-International

Sometime later, I learned about Trading accounts, so turned on that
feature.  I noticed that the Trading accounts mirrored the Securities
organization.

However, with my initial setup, I am finding it difficult to produce
some reports.  So, I am thinking of redoing my chart of accounts.

I have a business, a trust, and my personal items.  Both the business
and the trust are passthru items for income tax purposes.  So, for a
tax report or a net worth report, it would be best if all three were
in the same file.  But, for balance sheet or income statement, it would
be best if the business and trust were each in their own file.

The problem is some Trading accounts are a mixture of transactions from
personal, business, and/or trust.  I need to seperate them so I can do
correct balance sheets.

So, I am thinking of three sub-accounts:
  Personal
  Business
  Trust
under each of:
  Assets
  Liabilities
  Equity
  Income
  Expenses
  Trading

That way, it is easy to pick subsets of accounts (and their children)
for the balance sheet or income statement reports.

Can I redo the Trading accounts setup and still have things work OK?
Do I also need to redo how the securities are organized?

Aside:  It is possible for the same security to end up in:
  Personal - taxable
  Personal - tax deferred (regular IRA)
  Personal - tax free (Roth IRA)
  Trust - taxable