[GNC] finance Quote Not working

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Aug 6 15:35:04 EDT 2023

Paras:

On 2023-08-06 01:21, Paras Desai wrote:
> ...I tried to run the command prompt, and I received the following
> message.
>
> I run command from as an administrator,  the same message received as
> below.
>
> gnucash-cli' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

This message indicates a problem not with GnuCash or Perl, but of
learning how to use the command prompt. The message says that Windows
cannot find a file named "gnucash-cli" in the current directory. You fix
the problem by using the full path and exact filename for the GnuCash
command.

Use File Explorer to find the directory where GnuCash is installed, and
a file named something like "gnucash-cli.exe" in that directory. Note
the full file path to that directory.

Suppose that path is:

C:\Program Files\GnuCash\gnucash-cli.exe

(I don't use GnuCash on Windows, so I am not sure what the exact path
and file name are.)

Then in place of "gnucash-cli", use that full path and file name. For
instance:

C:\Program Files\GnuCash\gnucash-cli.exe -V --quotes dump nseindia RELIANCE

That should give you the output similar to my example. If you get the
same error message as before, then there is probably something wrong in
the path or the file name.

Learning more about using the Windows command prompt is a separate task,
and one that will probably help you for more things than just GnuCash.
According to a brief web search, here are a couple of pages that explain
the Windows Command Prompt:

<https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/a-beginners-guide-to-the-windows-command-line/>
<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/windows-commands>

Teaching details about the Windows command prompt is out of the scope of
this list. A Windows support group would be a better place to learn
about it.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt