[GNC] Will GNU CASH work on a Chromebook

Jan-Peter Rühmann jan-peter at ruehmann.name
Fri Aug 11 06:22:08 EDT 2023

   Am 11.08.23 um 12:09 schrieb Abe Sternberg:

I run Gnucash on my Chromebook using Linux when I am traveling and it is a
real pain.  For me, there are two challenges.  The first is that if you are
not skilled in Linux it is a constant effort to keep the Linux apps updated.

   Use a skript to run the paket manager automatlcaly by crontab.
   I do that on a Bunch of Linux machines without problems.

Next, the Linux side is slow and uses a lot of system resources.
Chromebooks are not designed to run apps.

Now, the biggest headache.  Gnucash needs it's data file to be local, so I
have to download the data to my Chromebook, then upload it to my computer
when I return home.

   Have you tried NFS (Network Filesystem)?
   The Data emains home and you can use it as if it were on your Laptop.

In sum, running Gnucash solely on a Chromebook can be done, while a second
instance of Gnucash on a Chromebook should only be done if absolutely
necessary.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

Abe

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 12:49 AM Adrien Monteleone <