[GNC] Navigation through chart of accounts: shortcuts or bookmarks?

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 20:14:34 EST 2023

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 5:08 PM Art Chimes <artsonline at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a pretty large number of accounts, and there is name
> duplication. For example, I might have  a S&P 500 index fund in my
> brokerage account and another one in a traditional IRA and maybe yet
> another one in a trust account.  My usual strategy is to open up the
> Accounts tab and type <500>. That brings me to the first account with
> "500" in its name. As far as I know, however, there is no magic way to
> advance to the NEXT account with "500" in its name.  Is there a way to
> do that?
>
> Or are there a better ways (tips and tricks?) to quickly and
> efficiently access an account that might be at the bottom of the list?
>
> Thanks for any helpful hints, and thanks also to the geniuses who keep
> working on GnuCash!
>
> Art Chimes
> GnuCash user since ~2019

I don't know of a way to do this, but I give the accounts different names;
using your situation above, I call the brokerage account that holds S&P 500
Index shares "BRK-S&P 500", and the IRA entry would be "IRA-S&P500". I
don't know if this helps on the account page or not. I never really use the
account page in that way. A Roth fund with S&P 500 shares would be
"Roth-S&P 500", to continue the examples. I don't know if this will help or
not, but I provide it for what it's worth.

Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com
Micah 6:8