[GNC] Selling an unpaid invoice to another business at face value?

AP gnucash at inml.grue.cc
Tue Dec 5 19:48:33 EST 2023

On Tue, Dec 05, 2023 at 04:19:01PM +0000, Morgan Read via gnucash-user wrote:
> Thanks Adrian,
>
> All I'm attempting to discover is how - in gnucash - can I use what is owned
> by somebodyA to pay off what is owed by somebodyB?  What is the procedure
> for using what is owed by one person to relieve another of the debt they
> owe?
>
> On paper, I would take the invoice to somebodyB, copy it and staple the
> invoice to the invoice to somebodyA and then place the invoice to somebodyA
> in the paid invoices shoe box.

So wouldn't this be:

* you have an invoiceX from CompanyA to CompanyD
* CompanyY creates invoiceY referencing invoiceX to CompanyB
* CompanyB pays CompanyA for invoiceY thus acquiring invoiceX
* CompanyB creates invoiceZ referencing invoiceX (that it now owns) to CompanyD

End result should be CompanyA's books being balanced and CompanyD's books being
unbalanced to the tune of invoiceX and thus requiring payment from CompanyD to
balance.

The link between the invoices is kept via invoiceY and invoiceZ.

Now I'm a newb to bookkeeping so hope that's both right and makes sense. :)

Andrew