[GNC] Selling an unpaid invoice to another business at face value?

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Tue Dec 5 11:19:01 EST 2023

Thanks Adrian,

All I'm attempting to discover is how - in gnucash - can I use what is
owned by somebodyA to pay off what is owed by somebodyB?  What is the
procedure for using what is owed by one person to relieve another of the
debt they owe?

On paper, I would take the invoice to somebodyB, copy it and staple the
invoice to the invoice to somebodyA and then place the invoice to
somebodyA in the paid invoices shoe box.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding exasperated .

The legal position in the UK is that if I sell the debt from companyA to
companyB then companyA will be liable for income tax or company tax
(depending on whether the entity is a natural person or legal person -
not that a natural person isn't also a legal person, but a limited
company is only a legal person) on the returns they receive for the
sale.  CompanyB will also be liable for any returns it receives on the
debt purchased.  So, legally, there is a double taxation issue.  Please
can we leave the legal stuff out of this - I am a lawyer.  It's not a
legal question.

Thanks, in hope,
Morgan.

--