[GNC] Selling an unpaid invoice to another business at face value?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Dec 5 10:32:25 EST 2023

I'm not sure that adds much clarity.

Your initial description appeared to be that you had two business
entities and you were transferring old debts owed to the first entity,
to a new one - where you control/own both.

Now it appears that you are 'selling a debt' owed by one entity, to
another who will ultimately pay it.

I'll refer you back to both Michael & David's reply in your linked thread:

#1 - (Michael) How would you do this on Pen & Paper accounting?

#2 - (David) This is a ultimately a legal question. Get that straight
first. Then once you get official advice on how to record this, you have
your answer, but if you are having trouble entering the transactions, we
can help.

We cannot advise you *how* this should be recorded. We can only help
with the mechanics in GnuCash.

-----

For a more general case of transferring the Receivables balance from one
'customer' to another, you would need to employ an intermediary account.

Investigate the concept of 'Allowance for Doubtful Accounts' and 'Bad
Debt Expense'.

Regards,
Adrien