[GNC] Advise me please: go up to 5.4.2 or stay at 4.13?

AP gnucash at inml.grue.cc
Wed Dec 6 02:04:52 EST 2023

On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 02:10:59PM -0500, Eric Chapman wrote:
> I do scan  through the posts to the GNUcash user list, so I know there were
> some issues with 5.x when it came out. But is 5.4 really up to every day
> work with no glitches?

For my use, yes but I've had it crash under duress (noob learning spree). :)

> Any advice at all?

No software is perfect.

No version is perfect.

No upgrade is pefect.

With each upgrade of any software you'll get less of the old bugs and more of
the minty fresh bugs. The hope is that there will be less new bugs than (now
removed) old bugs and that they will be less devastating in nature.

That said I like my bugs minty fresh so I'm on 5.4 and will upgrade when the
upgrade comes.

Now, if you want to give it a go, make a backup of your 4.x files and then run
5.4 on what you have. Poke, prod and twiddle until you feel ok about it. Then
delete those files, copy the 4.x files back from your backup and start work in
5.4 in earnest.

And above all else, always have backups. They'll lead to less salt in your
life which, in turn, will lead to less heart problems. ;)

Andrew