[GNC] Business: return of goods to vendor with refund to credit card

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Thu Dec 7 14:21:55 EST 2023

Story: I bought some items locally in September. I returned a portion of
them in November and the vendor was willing to issue a refund for the
items I decided I did not need. The refund was made to my credit card.

I tried to use a "Credit Note", but could not figure out how to make it
work. Is is just the same as an invoice, except that it automatically
puts the amount in the "Refund" field? What other differences are there?

When I checked my vendor report for that vendor, I had mismatches and
amounts in the aging columns.

Therefore I just deleted the "Credit Note" and input the return/refund
as if it were a bill (invoice from vendor). I put in negative amounts.
Worked fine. I clicked "Pay" and "paid" the negative amount to the
credit card. Everything looks correct to me.

Is there a reason why this methodology is not good? Any other advice?

Thank you!

--
Eric Chapman
GnuCash 5.4 on MacOS 14.1 Sonoma running on an Apple M3 Max computer.