[GNC] Reports for Personal Finance

NoobAlice NoobAlice at airmail.cc
Thu Dec 7 23:45:00 EST 2023

On 2023-12-05 10:46 AM, Tom Balazs wrote:
> For the case of an individual or a family, what are the most useful reports?

First, make sure to Save Config As for any report you've had to do a lot
of customizing to generate.

For my own personal use, there are a few reports I use most:

These two:
Assets & Liabilities > Balance Sheet (Multicolumn)
Income & Expense > Income Statement (Multicolumn)
In Options for each:
General
	Period duration: pick months, years, etc. your choice!
	Start and end dates
	Decide "If more than 1 period column, include overall period?"
Display - make your choices :)
Commodities - Check box for "common currency" so any investments show as
their values, not share counts

Groceries and restaurant spending by half-year monthly average.
Expense Chart
Income & Expense > Expense Chart
In Options:
General
	Set report name you want
	Start and end dates
	Step size: Half Year
	Show average: Monthly
Display - Chart type: Line Chart
Accounts - Choose your food accounts

There is a point on the chart every six months, and it is the average
total of the months that comprise it.  If you're someone who buys, say,
half a cow a couple of times a year, when looking at what you spend in
groceries on average in a month, it doesn't make sense to have this
massive spike in cow-buying months but then have very low meat bills
other months as you eat down your stash.  This is great to see long-term
effects on your food budget due to different shopping choices and/or
inflation.