[GNC] Business use: Producing 1099s for vendors

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Tue Dec 5 14:46:59 EST 2023

My little business sometimes has to provide 1099s to vendors and the IRS.

I was searching for how to best do that with GnuCash. I found a helpful
tutorial here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GnuCash/comments/eqpkih/how_to_deal_with_usa_1099misc_in_gnucash/.
It is 4 years old, but I read through it, and it looks as if it probably
would still be useful.

I also found this question and answer from 2016:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-April/065105.html

My questions:

(1) Is the tutorial on reddit my best approach or is there a better one
somewhere? How do others using GnuCash do it?

(2) Is it true that GnuCash does not have a way to tag vendors as to
their 1099 status, or did I just miss it? Seems to me each vendor could
have a box ticked if it is not a corporation, and then if the annual
payments to that vendor exceed $600, a report could be run.

Thank you!

--
Eric Chapman
GnuCash 4.14 (probably soon to be 5.4) on MacOS 14.1 Sonoma running on an Apple M3 Max computer.