[GNC] Business use: Producing 1099s for vendors

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Tue Dec 5 14:59:07 EST 2023

Let me clarify that I'm using the word "vendors" below in the way
GnuCash does: someone to whom one makes a payment. The IRS does not
(best I can tell) require that 1099s be issued  for "Payments for
merchandise, telegrams, telephone, freight, storage, and similar items."
(That's a quotation from the instructions here:
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1099-nec.

I don't rent anything from anyone, so I don't have to do rent 1099s. I
think rent amounts go on 1099-MISC

There may be times when I hire a contractor to do non-employee work
that's over $600. In that case I think I have to issue a 1099-NEC.

--
Eric Chapman
GnuCash 4.14 on MacOS 14.1 Sonoma running on an Apple M3 Max computer.