[GNC] Accounting Period Change issue

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Tue Dec 19 10:40:37 EST 2023

Thank you, for being flameless. My ears are all yours to listen to the explanation...

I actually didn’t tell the whole story ... I did software development for good chuck of my early career in the computer field (worked with through MIL-STD-2167/A when it was de-facto).

I am concurring that DATA is in a file of "program data" that gets read in when the "program" starts and that the "change accounting period" function changes this data. I am not sure I concur that to get it to take effect the program has to be shut down and start again manually. During the input phase of the change, upon confirmation "click" a call to start again just that portion of the program is doable, IMHO. It may require implementing a different sub-routine or sub-function if the existing one is not sufficient to do so.

I personally write init routines to take a parameter that has value of "COLD", "WORM", "HOT" or nothing (which would default to "COLD") and then branch & execute appropriately. If it is in files of "program data" and is not peek-only then it is likely to be poked and so that poking at any time should be accounted for in "program". I am thinking of examples like say you have to install device driver in an OS, have to update routines in Voyager 1 or 2, modify systems during Apollo 13 mission, fighter pilot needing to input new coordinates, etc. While GNC may not be at the same "critical" level as those examples, we shouldn't nonetheless not have sight of it.

I definitely see that you have employed very fail-safe workflow -- for that I commend you for it and my hats offs to you...